Level 1 Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does a seat cost?
Seats cost $115.
- How do I purchase (register for) a course seat?
On the registration page (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/REGISTER/index.pl), select the number of seats you require (one seat per user).
- Does my course (seat) expire?
Yes, you have one year to use this course (seat) before it expires.
- How can I pay for my seat(s)?
Visa, Master Card or American Express is the preferred method of payment. This will ensure your seat is saved.
We are sorry but we are unable to process Debit cards at this time.
- What if I have a hotmail, gmail or yahoo account?
These large web-based email providers have spam filters enabled, which may redirect emails from Open School BC (with important access information) into the junk folder. Please ensure you check your junk mail folder if you have not received the expected emails in your inbox after you paid for the FOODSAFE course.
- How do I log into my account?
An auto-generated email will be sent within an hour of purchasing your course seat. Follow the web link (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/STUDENT/index.pl) and fill in the username and password fields as assigned to you in the email we sent you.
- What is the Account Manager?
The Account Manager is a website you log into to enter and update personal information and select an invigilator to supervise your final exam.
In the Account Manager, select each tab and fill in the required fields;
- “My Information” tab - address, telephone number, email, name etc.
- “My Invigilator” tab - you may select a pre-approved invigilator to supervise your final exam (or pick a custom invigilator, if there is no pre-approved invigilator in your area.)
- “My Course” tab – click on this tab to find the date your course begins and how to access the link to Moodle (http://mytraining.openschool.bc.ca/), where you'll find the FOODSAFE Level 1 course content.
- “Seat Assignment” tab - only if you purchased multiple seats will you see a "Seat Assignment" tab where you can assign users to each of your seats. You can also assign an invigilator to all of your users on this tab. Please ensure that students enrolled are instructed to read these FAQs before starting the course.
- Is this online course offered in other languages?
The FOODSAFE online course is offered in English only. Students taking this online course need to have a proficient command of the English language. We suggest that you consider taking FOODSAFE in person if you are not proficient in English, as there are workbooks and exams available in other languages as per the FoodSafe Secretariat’s web site (www.foodsafe.ca).
- Are you comfortable using online technologies?
Online learning is not for everyone, this course is completed online and is self-paced so be sure you are comfortable using a computer, the internet, email, discussions, etc. You will need to have regular access to a computer with a reliable high-speed (1 Mbps or better) Internet connection. If you don’t have regular access, make sure you have easy access to a computer in order to complete the course within the 20 days allowed.
Note that customer service is available to assist only during regular business hours (8:30am – 4:30pm), Monday – Friday except on Statutory holidays, Pacific Time Zone.
- Do I need a computer to do FOODSAFE online?
YES! We highly recommend that you have a personal computer and a high-speed (1 Mbps or better) Internet connection to take FOODSAFE online. If not, we suggest that you consider taking FOODSAFE in a face-to-face classroom or via correspondence.
- How do I log into my course?
Once you have purchased a seat, you will receive an email confirming the purchase and a second email with information on how to log into the Account Manager and Moodle (where the course takes place). The information provided in this email is a username, password and a link to the Account Manager (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/STUDENT/index.pl).
- How do I know if my computer will work for this course?
Before you purchase the course, you should check Moodle’s Browser support (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.9_release_notes#Browser_support) for the list of supported browsers. Find your browser to confirm that your system will be compatible to take the course.
You should also check to make sure that you have the latest version of JAVA runtime environment. Free to download, check here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
- How long do I have to complete the course?
Courses begin every Tuesday and Thursday. Users have 20 days (including weekends) to complete the course and write the final exam. The course will end at 3:00 p.m. on the 20th day. Completion of this course could occur in one day if you can book an invigilator to meet with you at the end of the day, but we recommend taking the time to read the course materials and complete the practice quizzes. Here are some Time Management Tips.
- Who is my instructor?
We currently have four FOODSAFE Level 1 certified instructors:
- Patricia Jones
- Wayne Smith
- Ed Walker
- Lisa Weih
- What mark must I achieve on each of the quizzes and the final exam to pass the FOODSAFE Level 1 course?
There are nine units in FOODSAFE Level 1. All but one of the units have quizzes at the end. Scores for the unit quizzes are not recorded, and will not affect your final mark for the course.
The quizzes are self-correcting; your score will appear at the end of the quiz once you've navigated through every quiz page. Unit quizzes are there for you to practice, and to help you review for the final exam. It is up to you to practice each unit quiz until you feel comfortable with the material.
On the final exam, you must achieve a minimum mark of 70% in order to pass the FOODSAFE Level 1 course.
- Course Extensions and Timelines
If you feel you are going to need an extension in order to complete the course you must contact your instructor before the course
end date and explain your reasons for needing an extension. NOTE: After your course end date your course access expires and you will not be able to contact your instructor. Use the Mail Tool within your course to correspond with your instructor. Extension are rarely awarded, and given only for extenuating circumstances, such as death in the family or hospitalization.
- I want to take the FOODSAFE course face-to-face instead of online
Go to www.FOODSAFE.ca to locate a face-to-face course in your area.
- What is an invigilator?
An Invigilator (or exam monitoring person/proctor) is someone who supervises you while you write the FOODSAFE final exam. Note that your invigilator has the password to unlock your exam and MUST BE PRESENT with you as you take the exam online.
- How do I find an invigilator?
Using the Account Manager, you may request a friend, co-worker or supervisor to invigilate or you can select a pre-approved invigilator in your area.
- What if there is no invigilator in my area?
If there is no pre-approved invigilator in your area, you must find your own invigilator to supervise your FOODSAFE final exam.
- What is an example of a personally selected invigilator that meets the standards of the FOODSAFE Secretariat approval?
When selecting your own invigilator, you must find a responsible adult who will supervise the exam properly. To qualify, the person you select must be 19 or older and NOT living with you or related to you and have a separate email account.
- Do I have to use the Account Manager to request a custom invigilator?
Yes. When you submit a request for your own invigilator, the request first goes to your invigilator’s email to accept, then to the Open School BC support (available Monday – Friday, 8:30 - 4:30 PST) for approval. Once approved, the invigilator will receive the information to access and unlock your online final FOODSAFE exam via email.
- How do I contact my invigilator?
Once you requested an invigilator and they have accepted your request to supervise your exam, their contact information (email address) will appear in your Account Manager profile under the tab "My Invigilator."
- How much time does my invigilator have to respond to my request for invigilation?
48 hours. After two days, you’ll have the opportunity to select a different invigilator, or re-request the original one (sometimes invigilators are busy and overlook their email).
Final Exam info:
- How many questions are on the final exam?
There are 50 questions on the FOODSAFE final exam.
- What mark must I achieve in the Final Exam to pass the FOODSAFE course?
- If you score 70% or higher on the first exam attempt, you pass the course.
- If you score 59% or less on the first exam attempt, you fail the course and are not allowed a second exam attempt.
- If you score between 60% and 69% on the first exam attempt, you have not passed the course but are allowed a second exam attempt.
- If you score 69% or less on the second exam attempt, you fail the course.
- How long will it take to complete the final exam?
The exam will automatically end after 1 hour.
- How do I know I'm ready to write the final exam?
Once you’ve read through each unit and you’re comfortable with your mastery of the unit quizzes, you should be ready to meet with your invigilator to take the final exam.
- How do I get access to the final exam?
When you meet with your invigilator (exam supervisor or proctor) and you sign into your Moodle account, your invigilator will enter the exam password to unlock the exam.
- Where do I write the final exam?
When you select your invigilator they will send you a physical address for you to meet them to write the exam. You must write the online final exam in the presence of your invigilator.
- Are there additional resources to help prepare for the final exam?
When you register for FOODSAFE Level 1 online, a copy of the FOODSAFE Level 1 Participant Workbook will be sent to your mailing address.This resource contains all of the information available in the online course, and can be kept as a reference manual.
The workbook can be purchased separately in French, Chinese, Korean or Punjabi. To order a copy, go to www.crownpub.bc.ca, under Quick Links click on Foodsafe and then student.
- How do I get my FOODSAFE certificate and how long will take to receive it?
Once you have completed and passed the final exam your regional Health Authority will mail a FOODSAFE certificate to you. It takes between four to six weeks. Please ensure the mailing address you entered in the Account Manager is correct as this information is used to send your certificate.