Level 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to do the Foodsafe Level 1 course before I can take the Foodsafe Level 2 course?
Yes, you are required to have successfully completed a recognized FoodSafe Level 1 course before you can register for this course.
- How much does a seat cost?
Seats purchased cost $165.
- How do I purchase (register for) a course seat?
On the registration page (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/REGISTER/index.pl), select the number of seats you require (one seat per user).
- Does my course (seat) expire?
Yes, you have one year to use this course (seat) before it expires.
- How can I pay for my seat(s)?
Visa, Master Card or American Express is the preferred method of payment. This will ensure your seat is saved.
We are sorry but we are unable to process Debit cards at this time.
- What if I have a hotmail, gmail or yahoo account?
These large web-based email providers have spam filters enabled, which may redirect emails from Open School BC (with important access information) into the junk folder. Please ensure you check your junk mail folder if you have not received the expected emails in your inbox after you paid for the FOODSAFE course.
- How do I log into my account?
An auto-generated email will be sent within an hour of purchasing your course seat. Follow the web link (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/STUDENT/index.pl) and fill in the username and password fields as assigned to you in the email we sent you.
- What is the Account Manager?
The Account Manager is a website you log into to enter and update personal information.
In the Account Manager, select each tab and fill in the required fields;
- “My Information” tab - address, telephone number, email, name etc.
- “My Course” tab – click on this tab to find the date your course begins and how to access the link to Moodle (http://mytraining.openschool.bc.ca/), where you'll find the FOODSAFE Level 2 course content.
- “Seat Assignment” tab - only if you purchased multiple seats will you see a "Seat Assignment" tab where you can assign users to each of your seats. Please ensure that students enrolled are instructed to read these FAQs before starting the course.
- Are you comfortable using online technologies?
Online learning is not for everyone, this course is completed online and is self-paced so be sure you are comfortable using a computer, the internet, email, discussions, etc. You will need to have regular access to a computer with a reliable high-speed (1 Mbps or better) Internet connection. If you don’t have regular access, make sure you have easy access to a computer in order to complete the course within the 28 days allowed.
You may be expected to participate in online discussions. To participate in online discussions, you will need to type your email communications using an online communication tool provided within the course.
Students taking this online course should have a proficient command of the English language.
Note that customer service is available to assist only during regular business hours (8:30am – 4:30pm), Monday – Friday except on Statutory holidays, Pacific Time Zone.
- Do I need a computer to do FOODSAFE online?
YES! We highly recommend that you have a personal computer and a high-speed (1 Mbps or better) Internet connection to take FOODSAFE online. If not, we suggest that you consider taking FOODSAFE in a face-to-face classroom or via correspondence.
- How do I log into my course?
In your email, you will receive information to log into the Account Manager and Moodle (where the course takes place). The information provided in this email is a username, password and a link to the Account Manager (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/STUDENTLV2/index.pl).
- How do I know if my computer will work for this course?
Before you purchase the course, you should check Moodle’s Browser support (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.9_release_notes#Browser_support) for the list of supported browsers. Find your browser to confirm that your system will be compatible to take the course.
You should also check to make sure that you have the latest version of JAVA runtime environment. Free to download, check here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
- How long do I have to complete the course?
Users have 28 days to work through the course content, participate in the discussions and complete the assignments and write the quiz.
- How do I pass FOODSAFE Level 2?
In order to receive a FOODSAFE Level 2 certificate, you must successfully complete the following:
- Cleaning Schedule Assignment: You will write a cleaning schedule that you can use in the sanitation plan for your establishment.
- Food Safety Plan Assignment: During Module 3 you will write a Food Safety Plan for a menu item or recipe from your establishment. You will need to have a recipe or menu item from your establishment to complete this assignment. If you don’t work in a food service establishment, you may use a favourite recipe or menu item from home.
- Participation: Much of the learning in FOODSAFE Level 2 comes from discussion and the sharing of ideas. Often, there isn’t a “right” or “wrong” answer to the issues and points discussed in the course. Therefore, you are expected to contribute and actively engage in the discussions and exercises in the course. Your instructor will read all posts and will provide feedback as he or she sees fit.
- FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz (instructor marked): You will write a short-answer quiz at the end of the course that will cover the key points from the course. A passing grade on the quiz is 80%. Please note: You will not be able to access this quiz until you have submitted your cleaning schedule and your food safety plan and your instructor has marked them as successfully completed. Once your instructor has entered a passing mark for both assignments, an icon for the FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz will appear on the home page.
- Course Extensions and Timelines
If you feel you are going to need an extension in order to complete the course you must contact your instructor before the course
end date and explain your reasons for needing an extension. NOTE: After your course end date your course access expires and you will not be able to contact your instructor. Use the Discussion Tool within your course to correspond with your instructor. Extension are rarely awarded, and given only for extenuating circumstances, such as death in the family or hospitalization.
- I want to take the FOODSAFE course face-to-face instead of online
Go to www.FOODSAFE.ca to locate a face-to-face course in your area.
FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz info:
- How many questions are on the FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz?
There are 10 short-answer questions on the FOODSAFE final quiz.
- What mark must I achieve in the FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz to pass the FOODSAFE course?
You must achieve a minimum mark of 80% in order to pass the FOODSAFE course.
Please note: You must also successfully complete the assignments and participate in the discussions in order to pass the course. See How do I pass FOODSAFE Level 2? for details.
- How much time do I have to complete the FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz?
The quiz will automatically end after 3 hours.
- How do I get access to the FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz?
Please consult with your instructor. You will not be able to access this quiz until you have submitted your cleaning schedule and your food safety plan and your instructor has marked them as successfully completed. Once your instructor has entered a passing mark for both assignments, an icon for the FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz will appear on the home page.
- Where do I write the FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz?
You can write the quiz wherever you normally work on the course. All you need is a computer with access to the internet.
- Are there additional resources to help prepare for the FOODSAFE Level 2 Quiz?
As part of your registration in the online course, you will receive a print copy of the FOODSAFE Level 2 Participant Workbook in the mail. This may help you to review the course content, but is not required for you to begin the course.
- How do I get my FOODSAFE certificate and how long will take to receive it?
Once you have successfully completed the two assignments and the two quizzes your regional Health Authority will mail a FOODSAFE Level 2 certificate to you. It takes about four to six weeks. Please ensure the mailing address you entered in the Account Manager is correct as this information is used to send your certificate.