You must have previously received BC FOODSAFE Level 1 certification prior to being able to register for the FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher course. This will ensure that your name appears in the BC FOODSAFE Registry, which is required for Refresher Course registration.
If you purchase this course on behalf of your staff, you must ensure that they have a Level 1 Foodsafe certificate. This should be confirmed with each employee, as once you purchase the seats, the system will ask you for information of their name, gender and birth date and will not accept the employee if they are not in the Foodsafe Secretariat registry. We recommend that employers/employees go to the web site www.foodsafe.ca
(http://www.foodsafe.ca) for the contact information for the Health Authorities if they need to confirm this information before purchasing the seats.
- How much does a seat cost?
Seats cost $35 each.
- How do I purchase (register for) a course seat?
On the registration page (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/REGISTER/index.pl), select the number of seats you require (one seat per user).
- Does my course (seat) expire?
Yes, you have one year to use this course (seat) before it expires.
- How can I pay for my seat(s)?
Visa, Master Card or American Express is the preferred method of payment. This will ensure your seat is saved.
We are sorry but we are unable to process Debit cards at this time.
- What if I have a hotmail, gmail or yahoo account?
These large web-based email providers have spam filters enabled, which may redirect emails from Open School BC (with important access information) into the junk folder. Please ensure you check your junk mail folder if you have not received the expected emails in your inbox after you paid for the FOODSAFE course.
- How do I log into my account?
An auto-generated email will be sent within an hour of purchasing your course seat. Follow the web link (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/STUDENT/index.pl) and fill in the username and password fields as assigned to you in the email we sent you.
- What is the Account Manager?
The Account Manager is a website you log into to enter and update personal information.
In the Account Manager, select each tab and fill in the required fields;
- “My Information” tab - address, telephone number, email, name etc.
- “My Course” tab – click on this tab to find the date your course begins and how to access the link to Moodle (http://mytraining.openschool.bc.ca//), where you'll find the FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher course content.
- “Seat Assignment” tab - only if you purchased multiple seats will you see a "Seat Assignment" tab where you can assign users to each of your seats. Please ensure that students enrolled are instructed to read these FAQs before starting the course.
- Are you comfortable using online technologies?
Online learning is not for everyone, this course is completed online and is self-paced so be sure you are comfortable using a computer, the internet, email, discussions, etc. You will need to have regular access to a computer with a reliable high-speed (1 Mbps or better) Internet connection. If you don’t have regular access, make sure you have easy access to a computer in order to complete the course within the 10 days allowed.
Note that customer service is available to assist only during regular business hours (8:30am – 4:30pm), Monday – Friday except on Statutory holidays, Pacific Time Zone.
- Do I need a computer to do FOODSAFE online?
YES! We highly recommend that you have a personal computer and a high-speed (1 Mbps or better) Internet connection to take the FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher Course. You cannot take the FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher Course unless you have previously completed the FOODSAFE Level 1 course.
- How do I log into my course?
In your email, you will receive information to log into the Account Manager and Moodle (where the course takes place). The information provided in this email is a username, password and a link to the Account Manager (https://eservicebc.ca/foodsafe/STUDENT/index.pl).
- How do I know if my computer will work for this course?
Before you purchase the course, you should check Moodles’s Browser support (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.9_release_notes#Browser_support) for the list of supported browsers and operating systems. Find your operating system and browser to confirm that your system will be compatible to take the course.
You should also check to make sure that you have the latest version of JAVA runtime environment. Free to download, check here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
- How long do I have to complete the course?
You will have access to the course immediately after completing the registration process. This course takes approximately 1 to 3 hours, and must be completed within 10 days (including weekends) from the start date of the course (including your final examination). The course can also be completed much sooner, at the student’s pace, if they dedicate a few hours to studying the material thoroughly and writing the quizzes in a timely manner.
- I am being told that my name is not in the database of people who have completed FOODSAFE Level 1, but I am convinced that I’ve completed the course. What should I do now?
Contact your local Health Authority.
Final Exam info:
- How many questions are on the final exam?
There are 28 questions on the FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher Course final exam.
- What mark must I achieve in the Final Exam to pass the FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher Course?
- You must achieve a minimum mark of 80% in order to pass the FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher Course.
- If your mark is below 60% the first time you write the exam, you must take your FOODSAFE Level 1 course over again.
- If your mark is between 61-79% the first time you write the exam, you will have a second attempt to write the exam.
- If your mark is below 80% on your second attempt, you must take your FOODSAFE Level 1 course over again.
- How long will it take to complete the final exam?
The exam will automatically end after 1 hour.
- Are there additional resources to help prepare for the final exam?
Yes, absolutely. You may purchase a print work book from Crown Publications: visit www.crownpub.bc.ca
- How do I get my FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher Course certificate and how long will it take to receive it?
Once you have completed and passed the final exam your regional Health Authority will mail a FOODSAFE certificate to you. It takes about four to six weeks. Please ensure the mailing address you entered in the Account Manager is correct as this information is used to send your certificate.